Blog Journal #2

 During my undergraduate career I have had the opportunity to use various word processing software. These include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and Pages. Microsoft Word has by far been my favorite word processing software. I use it for taking notes, completing assignments, writing essays and more. During high school I used a lot of Microsoft Word to complete essays and found it was the software that worked best for me to organize my ideas and thoughts. I found it easiest to use, and quickly learned to use the different tools and resources Microsoft has to offer. Now, during college, I continue to use this software as I am more comfortable with it and feel I know how to best navigate this application. 

The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) is a great organization that empowers teachers to explore new forms of technology and integrate them into their classroom. From this organization I learned the importance of continuous learning in education. It is important for teachers and their methods to continue evolving as society evolves. In more modern times, we now provide classes in computers and other areas that were not available before. Preparing students to continue their education in a technology centered society is a very important task that teachers must objectively address. The standard that was most meaningful to me was the Learner standard which emphasizes the idea that to be modern teachers we must be open to learn from others, as well as be open to new technological resources. It is also important to continue doing your own research as a teacher and find articles and other professional papers that explore new teaching methodologies for better student learning outcomes. 

A digital native is a term put into place by Mark Prensky that describes someone who was born into a generation where technology is already widely used and modernized. These individuals are said to have the natural skills to navigate more complex technologies than their generational competitors or "digital immigrants". I do not agree with the label "digital native" since this is putting a big group of people into a generalized label which can often be misleading. It is true that some individuals who have been exposed to technology at younger ages have a more skilled approach to technology however, "digital immigrants" have the capacity and the resources to also become skilled in more modern technological software. In addition to this, some "digital natives" may not have the resources to explore more advanced technology or may just not be as interested or good at it. Throughout my life, I have been able to use various forms of technology and even worked in IT services. My coworkers were much older than I was, and even then, they were the ones who trained me and showed me how to navigate computer software, and other applications. Even in my classes, my professors are able to use technology to schedule meetings, give assignments, make presentations, and more. Therefore, through experience I have learned how to navigate through classes through their instruction. So while there are no significant differences, other than trending social media app use, it is the "digital immigrants" that pave the way for "digital natives" to be able to be experts in technology. In the future, it is likely that new technology will be developed that I may not be an expert in. If this is the case, it is up to me to take initiative to learn how to use this technology to benefit my students, and I believe, it is always welcomed to ask for help whether that be from peers, coworkers, friends, or even the students. 


Comments

  1. Hi, Mariana! I really appreciate your open attitude towards teachers' "lifelong learning". Your points for digital immigrants and digital natives are also insightful! I will post an announcement to discuss "digital native debate" and will cite some of your points:) Thanks for your contribution!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal #4

Blog #8

Blog Journal #1